February’s recipe of the month is an incredibly simple, but delicious way to cook broccoli.
Vivek Singh will be preparing this dish as part of the Fire and Feast Collaboration Dinner on Monday 27th May, in aid of the charity Action Against Hunger, curated by Persian and Middle Eastern Chef Sabrina Ghayour.
For the marinated broccoli
- 1 tbsp grated Cheddar cheese
- 25g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. Ginger & Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp single cream
- 1 tsp dried rose petals
- ½ tsp mace and cardamom powder
- 1 head of broccoli or two stalks of purple sprouting broccoli, cut into florets, blanched in salted water for 30 seconds, drained and chilled in ice water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- Juice of ½ lemons
- Garlic chutney or coriander chutney to serve
In a bowl, rub the cheese with your fingers to break up any lumps. Add the yoghurt and mix until smooth. Add the ginger and garlic paste, salt, chopped ginger and chilli and mix well, and then stir in the cream carefully, as the mixture might separate if mixed too vigorously. Finally add the rose petals, mace, and cardamom powder, gently fold in the broccoli florets, and drizzle with a tablespoon of oil. Mix and set aside for 20 minutes.
To cook the broccoli, soak 4 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Thread the broccoli florets onto the skewers, arrange on an oiled baking tray and place under a hot grill for 5-6 minutes, until the broccoli florets are cooked and slightly charred at the edges. Now sprinkle with almond flakes and toast for another minute or so.
Remove from the grill and serve immediately, squeezing over the lemon and accompanying with chutney of your choice.